a die-hard passion for baking

Randoms

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy Birthday


August 21, 2010. Ok. So this was how my morning started. 
Coffee and a poppy seed muffin. Which mind you, I had never tried before. Pretty good though. Lemon-y.
Anyways, I had to make my mother's birthday cake, pumpkin pies and my anniversary cupcakes within the course of like a few hours. Its ok though, I'll have to get used to it for my bakery. So we sat down to eat some breakfast and attempted to ignore little children as we plotted the cake's design. Checked the time, not much time left. Luckily we had baked the cakes off the night before. So we just had to stack them and dirty ice them. 

 The concept here was rather simple. Shove together two cakes, put a layer of buttercream on them, add the icing you really want, decorate and top with fondant lid. Yeah, easier said than done. But not too bad. Next we iced it in blue buttercream. Then we used lollipop sticks to make a argyle print in the icing. After that we used cupcake pearls for the apexes. I did it once and the argyle wasn't even so the pearls weren't either; so my sister re-did it. The argyle was still uneven but the pearls were straight. We made the lid out of home-made rice crispy treats. Then we worked some epic magic on the fondant. We used store bought fondant (tastes like ass) due to lack of time. It was just one of those random successes I guess. It doesn't look amazing but it looks decent for a kind of first try with fondant, I think. We put the lid on a cake board and cut the cake board so it wouldn't show. Then we stacked the lid on top of our blue cake thing. This would be the finished product. 


The lid ^ What I did was use white fondant to cover the rice crispy treats, cut dark brown into strips to make the ribbon, cut light brown into strips and then shaped it into this bow, rolled black into little balls to make a black pearl bracelet (I also put some confectioner's sugar on a little cylinder to make a clasp), and then I got an edible pen and cut some white fondant into a gift tag shape and wrote on it. That's pretty much it. Well, Mom liked it. 


-you know I'm sugarlaced-

No comments:

Post a Comment