a die-hard passion for baking

Randoms

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Finally!!! Zebra Stripes :D

Ok. You remember that cake in the last post? The zebra peace sign with lime green and hot pink accents? Yeah... So it was the night before the cake was due. And my sister swore that over the week she had perfected the ever eluding red velvet cake. I went to her house and tasted a cupcake or two. Frankly, I don't care for red velvet. Never have. It tastes odd to me. But these tasted pretty good for a cake that I don't even like. After a well deserved high five, we got started on the cake.














































We baked it off and made the cream cheese icing. 












































































































After the cake was done, we took it out of the oven, let it cool, took it out of the pan, set it on a cooling rack, covered it with wax paper and towels. And we went to bed. It was late. The next morning, we got started right after breakfast. We shoved the cake in the freezer to let it set up so we could carve it while we made the butter-cream frosting for the pink and green accents. Butter-cream is pretty simple and easy to make. So while she was finishing that up, I pulled the cake back out and we dirty iced it. Then we remembered we had to carve it. So I got the little icing spatula out and got to cutting out the shape. Which ended up looking pretty nice, but when I was done the cake had softened again so we had to put it back in the freezer. This whole process took a lot of putting it in and taking it out of the freezer. A rather annoying addition to the already time consuming process. Anyways, I cut out some zebra stripes from store bought black fondant. I wasn't sure the stripes were going to turn out very well. But they ended up looking pretty good. I covered them with a damp paper towel to keep them pliable and not hard. My sister iced the cake with the cream cheese frosting and I strategically placed the zebra stripes (more like randomly). Then I used the butter-cream dyed hot pink and piped her name and 'happy 18th' on the cake, we filled the inside with lime green and piped around the cake in lime green as well. My friend loved it and said that the whole thing was gone within a day. (: It made me pretty happy. (:










-you know I'm sugarlaced-

No comments:

Post a Comment